The project “Solid Waste Management in cross-border rural and coastal areas of SEE region” aims to improve the conceptual and organisational framework conditions for Integrated Solid Waste Management (ISWM) in cross-border rural and coastal areas in SEE by achieving the folowing specific objectives:
- to asses and develop the most suitable model for integrated management of solid waste in the cross-border communities;
- to facilitate exchange of experiences and best practices among concerned stakeholders, as well as presentation of the EU context on effective solid waste management;
- to develop measures and policy recommendations which will foster the EU approximation process of future policy development and implementation;
- to set solid waste management at the agenda of the local authorities and local communities (raise awareness) and
- to strengthen the cooperation between local and central governments for establishing dialogue on future policy creation and fostering the overall development process of the cross-border and rural communities.
The project is implemented among three partners: “Network of Associations of Local Authorities in SEE” (NALAS), “Regional Rural Development Standing Working Group in SEE” (SWG), and the “Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH” (GIZ).
Interventions of the project that will be implemented in the period July 2015 till June 2016 focuses on three designated pilot areas:
- Coordinated by NALAS and the respective Local Government Associations is the pilot area along the Adriatic Sea coastal region of Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia. This area is affected by floating solid waste, originally derived from the rural settlements along the sea shore of Albania.
- Coordinated by SWG is Sharra mountain area, covering the cross-border rural municipalities between Macedonia, Albania and Kosovo*, as well as,
- River bank areas of Drina-Sava cross-border region between Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia and river bank area of Drina-Tara cross-border region between Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Serbia.
Based on the agreed models for integrated solid waste management in all three regions (mountain, river banks, and sea coast), measures and regional policy recommendations will be developed and disseminated at national and local level. The policy recommendations will be endorsed by the NALAS General Assembly and SWG Assembly.
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence