The Regional Rural Development Standing Working Group (SWG) in South Eastern Europe initiated and organized the first coordinative meeting of the Public Forest Enterprises from SEE region.
The aim of the meeting was to discuss the possibilities for regional cooperation in the forestry sector among the public enterprises in coordination with SWG and mapping a draft operational plan for possible regional activities and actions that can be taken in the SEE region.
In total 18 participants – directors/heads of departments from the public forest enterprises/agencies and other entities that manage forest resources as well as representatives from Ministries of Agriculture, Water and Forest Management, the forestry sector, took part at this event which took place in Mavrovo, Macedonia on February 27th.
The following are the General Conclusions from this meeting:
- The SEE countries should focus towards the EU integration process, which is requiring implementation of sustainable systems of forest management, with special emphasis on the protection of biodiversity and care for nature and the environment in general;
- Forestry needs to be more addressed in national development strategies and plans;
- Networking and cooperation among the public enterprises and institutions responsible for management of forest resources (public enterprises, ministries – forestry sectors, private forests owners, national parks and etc.) should be strengthened at national and regional level;
- Networking and cooperation among the public enterprises and institutions responsible for management of forest resources with other relevant sectors (water, agriculture and environment) should be strengthened on national and regional level;
- Regional coordinating body/working group for the forestry sector in South Eastern Europe should be created, focusing on improving the networking and cooperation among the stakeholders and tackling challenges/problems of a regional character (forest fires, illegal logging and etc).
Click on the hyperlinks to find out more: