The Standing Working Group for Regional Rural Development (SWG) in SEE within the project “Rural development through integrated forest and water resources management in Southeast Europe: Rural perspectives: qualification, reintegration and (self) employment”, in cooperation with the German International Cooperation (GIZ), supported the organization of the lectures entitled “Adjusting raspberry production to climate changes and economic aspects of raspberry production”. The workshop was organized in cooperation with the Montenegrin Association of raspberry producers, branch office Bijelo Polje, on 4 November 2017 at the Culture center in Bijelo Polje, Montenegro.
In total 70 participants from Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina attended this one-day lecture. The participants expressed a great interest, knowledge and skills in the field of raspberry production. The main topics presented and discussed during the meeting were as follows:
– Economic aspects of raspberry production;
– The importance of climate changes in the production of raspberries;
– The current situation in the raspberry plantations;
– What should not be neglected in raspberry production;
– Climate changes that affect the production of raspberries.
Some of the conclusions drawn from the workshop were the following:
– The raspberry producers have a lack of top-level advisers in all three countries, who will be engaged in providing advisory services without focusing on retailers or purchasers, but only to follow the profession;
– It is necessary to organize specialized courses in several areas, for raspberry producers and advisory services. By organizing certain conferences, which will gather producers from Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is necessary to link the raspberry producers from the cross-border region where the focus will be on the exchange of experience, their problems and adequate solutions. These gatherings should be held at least three times a year in each country (beginning of the season, middle and end of season). In this way, exchange of experiences will be provided, as well as new technological solutions.